What is an implant?
An implant essentially consists of three components. Like a real tooth it replaces the key components of a tooth: root, dentine and enamel.
- A cylindrical piece of titanium gently placed into your jawbone to replace the root of the missing tooth.
- The abutment is attached into the implant to replace the middle portion of the tooth (dentine).
- A crown is then added onto the abutment to restore your tooth back to function, form and appearance.
What is involved with the treatment
Implants are one of the biggest advances in dentistry in the last 50 years. They are often the best way to replace a missing tooth and have the highest success rate in dentistry. The benefits are: great and functions harmoniously so you can maximize your Sensational Smile.
- Will not damage your other teeth. The alternatives such as dentures and bridges can often damage your gums, teeth and bone.
- Preserve healthy bone. If you lose this precious bone it is difficult and expensive to regain and can lead to an aging appearance.
- Excellent survival rates – often for the rest of your life.
- They are fixed in place so do not move around like dentures do, so you can eat more foods with confidence and comfort.
What is the process of having a single implant?
An implant can be placed in a number of stages. The conventional, simple way is described below:
- Stage 1 - 3dimensional scan of the jaw and moulds taken for planning.
- Stage 2 – Placement of implant into the jawbone and stitches placed to cover the implant. The site is allowed to heal for a period of around 3 months to ensure that the bone has integrated to the implant.
- Stage 3 – Uncovering the implant and placing the abutment and temporary crown. A mould is taken at this stage
- Stage 4 – Fitting of the final crown.
The number of stages is for a rough guide only. For complex cases, the number of stages maybe more. For immediate implants, where the process is carried out in one day and you walk away with your tooth on the same day, there may be fewer stages.
Outstanding care for tooth loss is available in our sister office, The Denture and Implant Clinic. For more information on services, visit http://www.thedentureclinic.co.uk
Dental implants restore a natural look and feel that helps you feel your most confident. Call 020 8629 1433 for personalized care that gets results you love.
Can't stop smiling
"My experience at the clinic was one of complete trust in their professionalism. I always felt important to them and that they cared about me and my treatment. The staff there was always warm, funny and friendly and I now look forward to future check-up appointments instead of dreading them."
Read and subscribe to our newsletter!
LATEST FROM OUR BLOG
What is Tooth Whitening?
08/12/2015 Dr. Suril Amin
Do you suffer from bleeding gums?
30/11/2015 Dr. Suril Amin
Top Tips to avoid Tooth Decay
16/11/2015 Dr. Suril Amin
Why is instilling good habits in children vital?
02/11/2015 Dr. Suril Amin